Kapoors will always rule Bollywood: Kareena

After several hiccups, it is finally Kareena Kapoor who is scorching the trailers of Madhur Bhandarkar's Heroine. Sreya Basu catches up with the actor in Mumbai where she called the film her destiny

Did you always want to be a heroine?
Yes...always. There's always been a dream as a child, I think ever since I was in my mother's stomach, that I will become a heroine when I grow up. That was my aspiration...I used to dance in front of bathroom mirrors, when in school I used to run to the bathrooms to look at myself and not really concentrating on my studies. 

How it is like playing a heroine on screen as well?
My journey as a Bollywood heroine has been really fantastic. But it would not have been complete without Madhur Bhandarkar. 

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan had to leave the film due to her pregnancy and it came your way. Do you regret being a second choice? I was destined to be a heroine and getting an opportunity to work in this film is also my destiny. 

Which heroine inspired you the most as a child?
I always had walkman with me listening to Madhuri (Dixit) and Sridevi songs thinking one day I too will become a heroine like them. 


Your item song Halkat Jawani in Heroine is being considered as a repetition of Sheila Ki Jawani from Tees Maar Khan. Do you think these comparisons are justified?
Not at all. Halkat Jawani is my song. There is no question of comparisons. 

Heroine is also showing the fate of an actress like that of Vidya Balan's The Dirty Picture. So are you trying to fit into her shoes?
I don't think I need to fit into anybody's shoes; I am very comfortable in mine. Also I don't think anyone can fit into my size. Heroine is completely different to The Dirty Picture and it's unfair to draw comparisons again and again. 

Can you find similarities with your character in Heroine with any of your contemporaries?
There are quite a few of them. But I don't think I should name them. 


Heroine will clash at the box office with your cousin Ranbir Kapoor's Barfi. Is the competition tougher this time?
Kapoors will always rule (Bollywood). I hope Ranbir's film does well and am sure he also wishes that my film also works. Everyone's film should do good; ours should do better. 

We know of legendary actresses who did not eventually had a very good life. How do you manage the pressure that comes with stardom?
I don't read the newspapers in the morning. 


Being s superstar at the moment, do you fear that there might be a time in your life in future when you will not get any film?
I haven't really thought of that. But I know there might be a time like that. Whatever happens, I will be happy and content with my life. On second thoughts, I think I will be like Zohra Sehgal (veteran actor) and will work till I am 90. I am not going to give up my place to anyone. 

There were reports that your marriage with Saif Ali Khan (actor-producer) has been postponed. True?
You should wait for Saif to make an official announcement. Right now, my only focus is Heroine. 

Your wax statue is currently being displayed at Madame Tussauds Sydney as a part of The Bollywood World Tour (first travelling exhibition of the renowned wax museum). How do you feel?
It is the most humbling experience. It makes me feel really happy to think that my work will live forever with my statue. When Madame Tussauds authority first contacted my management and my manager told me they want my wax statue there, I could not believe it. 


What was your first reaction when you saw your wax statue for the first time in October last year?
The statue is so much similar to me! It was the same eyes, jaws and even the skin texture!

No comments: