About Dostana


• With Dostana, you have given up the superstition of the title of your films necessarily beginning with a ‘K’.I would say that you can live with your superstition, but a superstition should not become a belief and come in the way of creativity.
• What’s My Name is Khan about? We’ve heard that it is based on the real life story of a couple and that you have obtained permission from them. Is that true?Well, actually, no. People are speculating a lot of things. Some of them are saying that Shah Rukh is playing a terrorist, while others are saying that the film is set against the backdrop of the 9/11 attacks. All I can say is that we have done a lot of research for this film and a lot of moments in the film have elements, which have led to these speculations.
• Were you relieved when Kajol finally agreed to do My Name Is Khan? And had Kajol not agreed, was Kareena the second choice?Kajol maintains a certain structure in life, which I respect and must accommodate. I am working on the schedule, keeping her life in mind. Kajol and Shah Rukh are indispensable for My Name Is Khan. Besides, I never had Kareena in mind for the female lead.
• Is there any truth in the rumours that you will direct Dhoom 3 for Yash Raj Films?I would love to direct a film like Dhoom one day, and I would do it for YRF, but I am not directing Dhoom 3.
• How has the stint as a producer been so far?Frankly, I am not too old in this business. But I surely enjoy nurturing young directors. Once I like their screenplay, I do not impose any inputs.
• Does it hurt when some of these directors (read Nikhil Advani, Soham Shah) go away?I have now streamlined everything. Earlier, I used to go by faith and trust. Now, I have legal contracts for these dealings. The contract varies from person to person. Like, Renzil’s contract binds him for just one film.
• Were Nikhil and Soham’s departures a learning experience for you?There were a few misunderstandings which happened. Everything in life is a learning experience. I am happy with whatever Nikhil and Soham are doing currently.
• What is your current equation with Ram Gopal Varma?We are fine when we meet socially. But I think we both enjoy this banter in the media and it keeps us going. It entertains us. He doesn’t like my films and I am not so particularly kicked by his films either. I don’t know about him but I respect some of his earlier work like Satya (1998), Company (2002) and Sarkar (2005) a lot. I am not interested in seeing some of his films and he doesn’t want to see any of mine. But then, I don’t need to hate him for that.
• Have you sorted out issues with Anurag Kashyap?Anurag was on a venting spree on his blog and I told him what I thought about it. We have sorted out the issue. Now, he is writing dialogues for Renzil’s film. Renzil even asked me if I was sure that I wanted him. Anurag doesn’t necessarily have to like my films to be a part of them. I don’t have an ego. I believe ego is for non-achievers. If you are an achiever, you don’t need to have an ego.
• What is your take on the recent Shah Rukh-Salman Khan fight?I will not like to comment on that.
• Will you work with Salman Khan in the future?I am very close to some of his family members - Alvira (his sister), Malaika (Arora), Arbaaz (Khan). I have worked with Salman before and have had a great equation with him. I will continue to work with Salman.
• There is friction between Amitabh Bachchan and SRK, an open fight between Salman and Shah Rukh took place, yet you are friendly with all of three. Everyone likes you. How do you manage this?Well, I would say that I am a people’s person. My father was one of the most loved persons in the industry and I have learnt this from him. I believe the place that I am in, is a result of the goodwill he enjoyed. His relationship with Bachchan and SRK family had been built before I even entered the picture. I have inherited those relationships. Every person he loved, I have gone ahead to love much more. I take pride in all these relationships. Forming relationships is easy in this industry but maintaining them sure is a difficult task, and I am all about maintaining relationships.
• Have you been like this since childhood?Well, I was the only child of my parents. For me, my friends form my family.
• The buzz around is that Yash Raj Films offered Dharma Productions to join them and come out with a joint IPO. True?YRF is an entity in its own. I am still in the nascent stage trying to make Dharma Productions grow. Who knows what will happen in future. As of now, I have no such plan.
• It seems Dostana has a dose of adult comedy. Is that true?It’s not an adult comedy. There is a track of gay undertones as the promos suggest, but everything has been portrayed with absolute dignity. There was never an awkward moment between Abhishek and John (Abraham). I was present on the sets for about a week, and then had to leave for my preparatory work for My Name Is Khan. But I clearly saw both, Abhishek and John having a great time shooting together. I was very happy, because the film is not just about their chemistry with Priyanka Chopra. Their chemistry with each other also matters. Rarely have I seen two lead actors getting along as well as John and Abhishek did.
• Was Priyanka Chopra actually made to wear a swimsuit?It is considered being overdressed to wear jeans and a T-shirt in Miami. Priyanka knew that the scenes where she sports a swimsuit would be shot aesthetically. She sat down with Manish Malhotra (fashion designer) and selected the particular swimsuit. Everything was discussed with her beforehand and we were on the same page.
• Which are the other upcoming films from your production house?Renzil D’Silva is directing a thriller starring Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor and Vivek Oberoi. Kajol’s cousin, Ayaan Mukerji, is directing a film starring Ranbir Kapoor and Konkona Sen Sharma. The film is titled Wake Up, Sid. It’s about the process of how a boy (played by Ranbir Kapoor) grows up and along the way, develops a beautiful journey with the character played by Konkona. We have also signed Siddharth Malhotra and are currently working on the screenplay.

No comments: